We all know how hard it can be to get some horses to lose weight.
We have put together some ideas to help you; whether your horse is just starting their weight loss journey or you’re looking for something different to try with a “good doer”!
- Bare paddock
- Strip grazing
- Track system
- Co-grazing with sheep
- Non-grass paddock, e.g. wood chip, concrete yard, rubber; ideally avoid turn out on sand due to increased risk of colic.
- Decreased grazing time, although beware of bingeing behaviour.
- A horse can eat enough grass for a full day in just 4 hours!
- Grazing muzzle, should be worn all the time the horse is turned out to avoid bingeing when removed.
- Remember to remove daily to check for rubbing.